Extraordinary individuals and top performers in business are also known as Game Changers. Every company understands that you need these unique individuals if you want to dominate your industry.
Over the years, I have found that game changers share many similarities. They can be quickly identified by the following:
- Gainfully employed and usually not job hunting
- Well known in the industry
- High Impact to their company’s bottom line
- Airtight references and proven track records
- Extremely driven and get the job done at any cost
Hiring game changers requires a recruiting process that is unique and capable of attracting them to your company. The usual applicant screening and interview process won’t work. Hiring Managers have to change their mindset and approach to capture this type of talent. Consider taking the following steps:
- Strengthen your company image. It’s important to increase your visibility, build trust, and confidence that your company is solid and THE place to work. Sell them on why your firm outpaces the others and how they will have an integral role. A Game Changer needs a “WOW” factor before even looking at your job.
- Understand the difference between an applicant and recruited candidate. The Game Changer did not apply for a position at your company. You recruited them. Therefore, they expect and require a tailored and painless recruiting process that requires little of their time and meets all of their expectations.
- Be flexible with job requirements. An ordinary job opportunity would not be of interest to this high level recruit. Research what factors get attention on their “short list” of opportunities to consider. Customize and build the position with their input. Include their desired degree of independence, the extent of their authority, the ability to build their own team and select projects.
- Be creative with compensation and benefits. Expect that the Game Changer is receiving attractive offers from other companies as well as counteroffers from their current firm. You need to proactively research what that counteroffer is likely to be and to prepare a compelling strategy to overcome it.
- Contact a professional and highly respected recruiting firm. Work in partnership with a professional recruiter to help facilitate an introduction to a Game Changer. In addition, a great recruiter will help you by developing a capture strategy and offering negotiation assistance. They will also help you land this talent in the shortest time possible and provide support during the transition phase.
If you want to recruit the best talent for your company, you need to implement game changer recruiting strategies before your competition does.
David Peterson is recognized as one of Direct Recruiter's most diligent recruiters and has built a reputation for understanding client needs in the Public Safety, Mobile Enterprise, Supply Chain Automation, and RFID industries. Clients appreciate David for his in-depth industry knowledge, comprehensive understanding of job market conditions and future industry trends. In addition, he has the ability to attract and deliver industry superstars and leaders in an expedient manner. David serves as the Cleveland Chapter Chairman for the Ohio Association of Executive Search Professionals. In addition, he is a member of NAPS, AIM, RFID Tribe, and APCO. He is often interviewed and quoted in well-known trade publications including Business Solutions Magazine and the AIM Career Center. David attended the University of South Florida, is married and has 2 daughters. He enjoys being with his family, playing racquetball, camping and collecting tropical fish. He is a member of ORA (Ohio Racquetball Association) and competes in state tournaments.